Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Putting Technology to Good Use

My last post talked about the uses I had found for technology in my homeschool planning. I thought that today I would show how I've put it to good use. It's not just been hours of Internet time! I've made two things. (That totally justifies the 400 hours or so I've put in, right?)

The first material I've made I found on Pinterest. It's from Education Center, but now shows the page has been moved. I can't take credit for this great idea!

TN state standards say that second graders should have a good working use of contractions. A is pretty good with them already, but these were too cute not to make.

Contraction Contractors (Since I can't get to the page, they are stuck with this cheesy name.)


Supplies:
Paint samples
Sharpie




Write the two words to be contracted in each color tile. It's OK if you have to combine two letters in one tile, but make sure the contraction letters are separate.





For this example, I used "you will."




This is a great hands-on way to practice contractions. For giggles, I made "will not," which as we know contracts to "won't." I thought this was a good way to talk about irregular contractions.

Another activity I found on Pinterest was a set of ABC Bible memorization verses. I've seen several variations of this lately, but I first found the idea on www.Icanteachmychild.com. I am cheap, so I didn't go through all the supply steps they listed. I also am frugal with ink, so mine are handwritten.

ABC Bible Memorization Verses

Supplies:
Small notebook
Pen
Bible
Time



As you can see, this one is pretty easy. Each verse to memorize starts with a letter of the alphabet. Then you go in order. For us, this will be a weekly activity. Any notebook will work, I'm sure!

I tried to choose verses that conveyed a particular message or story I wanted to discuss with the boys. One thing I love about homeschooling is that we can incorporate Bible study into our school day. I don't believe the Bible or religion should be taught in public school, at all, so we always did this at the end of the day. I don't think my guys were at their best, so now we can discuss this when we are all wide awake and focused!

Until next time,

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment