Pages

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Choosing curriculum

Since we've announced (Ta-da!) that we are homeschooling next year, I've gotten several questions about which curriculum we plan to use. I've probably mentioned before, but I'm not using a commercially created homeschool curriculum. There is nothing wrong with them. Some of them look really cool, in fact. But there are several reasons why they aren't right for our family (at least this year.)

1. They are expensive. Oh my stars, are a lot of them expensive. While I'm sure they are worth the money, they are out of our current budget.

2. They have limited flexibility. If my kids decide they want to learn more about red foxes, we have the ability to learn all about them, without having to worry about staying on a schedule. On the flip side, commercial plans have really well-structured activities.

3. They bring my inner hippie down.

4. We can be less like "school" and more like "home."

5. I love the idea of creating lesson plans for us. We'll see how long that lasts.

Like I said, there are a ton of really great materials available. And if you use one, I'd love to hear more about why you chose it, and why it works for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment