Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Curriculum materials are all around!

I'm still in the planning phase of homeschooling, but I was starting to get worried about how much all of this would cost. Granted, public school has a lot of costs associated with it as well. It seems like every five minutes we're being asked to pay for something like pictures, fundraisers, field trips, teacher gifts...the list goes on and on. I don't mind paying for any of these things (especially teacher gifts!) but it gets expensive. So I've been excited to find so many free and low-cost materials for our homeschool adventures.

Goodwill has been a great resource for us. Just yesterday, we found:

1. Brand new math workbook with activities and workbook pages for the summer before 3rd grade.

2. History textbook for middle school.

3. A beka reader for second grade.

4. Reading textbook for late elementary/early middle school.

This is in addition to the great Bible, two other A beka readers,  and "What Would Jesus Do" story book we've found on previous trips.

Total cost: $12

(If you ever want some sticker shock, check out A beka's website! Whew!)

Now, some of this material is a grade level or two above where we are now. I'm not worried about that at all! The history textbook follows the exact plan that I wanted to use this year with both the boys. Some of the material may be too advanced for right now, but I can use it to have a path to follow. Also, homeschooled kids seem to learn faster, according to what I've read. I like knowing I have some more advanced material ready to go. Additionally, who says we can't read a grade level or two above where we are "supposed" to be?

I've found great items other places too. The library, as I'm sure everyone knows, is a great resource. Since we are doing unit studies, I can use the library to supplement what I have planned. This gives my kids some freedom in what they are learning. If they want a book about three-toed sloths, so be it! Our library is also starting a homeschool book club. I cannot wait to join that.

State parks are a great resource as well. What better way to teach life science than to become a junior ranger? Tennessee's program is great. It combines all kinds of subjects like writing, reading, science, and social responsibility. Check out their Jr Ranger packet!

What are some of the materials you've found?

No comments:

Post a Comment