Pages

Friday, October 12, 2012

How much writing does a ninja really do?

Today, the boys wrapped up what we've learned so far about the Revolutionary War by writing newspaper articles about an event we've previously studied. Jerimiah chose the Boston Tea Party, and Anthony wrote about the Boston Massacre.

Can I just tell you, it was excruciating to get those boys to write. You would think I'd covered them in sugar and tied them to an ant hill. Once we got the initial draft, which was difficult, no revision was acceptable to them. Not a single one. I mean, they made them...but it was like I asked them to rewrite Moby Dick or something.

Clearly, writing is not our favorite thing. I LOVE to write (you may have noticed), so I'm perplexed by this. We are going to start incorporating more writing into our everyday lessons. Ideally, this will eventually cut down the resistance to this. We'll see how that goes.

Writing is an essential skill. I discussed this with the boys, but of course they aren't too worried about using writing in their careers. They want to be ninjas. Honestly, how much writing does a ninja really do?

4 comments:

  1. I have one who will write a novel someday and one who hates to write a sentence! We are working on the Rev War too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta figure out a way to make it fun. Or at least tolerable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! My two want to be ninjas, too! I just bought them the cutest t-shirts from Great Products that say "Homeschooler by day, Ninja by night." Here is the link:

    http://www.shopgreatproducts.com/new-ninja-t-shirt/

    I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nicole! That shirt is awesome. I really appreciate you following my blog!

    ReplyDelete